Background: The following issues arise during communication of information, acquisition of knowledge and wisdom. Who knew what, when did they know it, and how did they acquire it?
When preparing plans and programs, attending school or performing research, discussions occur between members of groups. As activities progress, changes occur as a result of lessons learned or changing objectives. Public news or information on the issue may not reflect current status or final outcomes. Discussions based on incomplete or untimely results will most likely be inaccurate.
A common occurrence is when students receive information from teachers without familiarity through experience or association with the subject; and are lacking in wisdom. Information combined with knowledge through experience leads to Wisdom. Without completing the cycle, conflict can occur between participants and the public.
The following are modified from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary. Definitions may appear to overlap.
Definition of Information: Communication is the operative word. Visual, oral, written or any combination thereof.
The communication or reception of knowledge or intelligence.
(1) Knowledge obtained from investigation, study, or instruction
(2) intelligence, news
(3) facts, data
- The attribute inherent in and communicated by one of two or more alternative sequences or arrangements of something (such as nucleotides in DNA or binary digits in a computer program) that produce specific effects.
- A signal or character (as in a communication system or computer) representing data.
- Something (such as a message, experimental data, or a picture) which justifies change in a construct (such as a plan or theory) that represents physical or mental experience or another construct.
- A quantitative measure of the content of information specifically a numerical quantity that measures the uncertainty in the outcome of an experiment to be performed.
Definition of Knowledge: Experience is the operative word. Art, agriculture, business, education, engineering, government, manufacturing, medicine, research, science and more. Design and testing to prove concepts.
The fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association.
- Acquaintance with or understanding of a science, art, or technique.
- The fact or condition of being aware of something.
- The range of one’s information or understanding answered to the best of one’s knowledge.
- The circumstance or condition of apprehending truth or fact through reasoning.
- The fact or condition of having information or of being a learned person of unusual knowledge.
Definition of Wisdom: Discern is the operative word. Formulate and apply successful concepts based on acquired information and knowledge.
Ability to discern inner qualities and relationships: Insight
Good sense: Judgment
Accumulated philosophical or scientific learning: Knowledge
Examples of significant information, knowledge and wisdom disconnects in government.
Note: Selecting a link opens a separate page. Close the page to return to this posting.
$24 Trillion GDP Loss: Result of mismanaged international trade.
Ignorance, Stupidity and Idiocy: Does the level of education guarantee good government?
Gridlock in Government: What has changed since the future forecast for 2014?
State of the Union: Based on real data. Headed down the road to where? You be the judge.
Now you are up to date . . . for the next six years.